Thursday, October 28, 2010
The Blue Footed Boobies mate by whichever male has the best dance and whoever has the brightest feet. They can dive in water a little as three feet deep, and they gather in the thousands. Their blue feet coloration genes get passed down through generations, so eventually all of the boobies feet are blue.
Wednesday, October 27, 2010
2. After viewing the fish gallery, I think that the Poecilia reticulata is my favorite fish. The origin of this fish is Brazil. It's average size is about 3.5 centimeters. It is a male, so it has many bright colors. It is probably the brightest of the gallery of fish. It is mostly dark blue on the top side of the fish, but towards the bottom, it has splotches of yellow and green. The tail is green and the dorsal fin is orangish.
3. After viewing the predator gallery, I think the Fat Sleeper, or the Dormitator maculatus, is the most interesting of the predators. It has distributed to Southern North America, Bahamas, and Latin America.
4. The size of the body of water and the size of the predator fish will affect the predator population.
5. John Endler is an evolutionary biologist who began studying wild guppies in the 1970s. He studied it in various streams and found that the coloration of the guppy depends on where the guppies are.
6. Pool 1: Brightly Multi Colored with large spots.
Pool 2: Medium coloration on body and tail, with medium sized spots.
Pool 3: Drab coloration, very small spots concentrated near tail.
7. I think in different parts of the stream, the coloration of the guppies vary depending on the amount of predators and females in that particular part of the stream. I think that bright guppies will last the longest, because they attract mates, and the rest depends on the amount of predators in the area.
% of Brightest Guppies
|% of Bright Guppies|
|% of Drab Guppies|
|% of DrabbestGuppies|
Guppy: Even Mix
Guppy: Even Mix
Guppy: Even Mix
Guppy: Mostly Bright
Guppy: Mostly Drab
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Over a long period of time, medicines that could be found from some of these species that we are harming, are also becoming more and more scarce. Loosing the animals can reduce our chances of the human species living the longest it can. After many many studies, scientists have already found some medicines that could solve huge problems in the health department, but they will never know because they do not have enough of the sour e to test their discoveries.
In addition to loosing some of the most important scientific discoveries, some less industrialized countries are dying off from starvation. The species that are dying out, are probably somebody else's way to survive, and that someone may be one of our own kind.
Of course, there is also pollution. Although we are trying to get everyone motivated to reduce, reuse, recycle, there is just not enough people doing it.toxic chemicals are poisoning wildlife everywhere, and by poisoning them, we will also be effected in a negative way.
Humans are becoming more vulnerable as the change continues on because of loss of coral reefs. Reefs are natural barriers and help prevent damage from floods, tsunamis, hurricanes, etc. Without them we are more vulnerable to natural disasters. There are many cultures that are attached to a certain ecosystem, and without that ecosystem, their beliefs are slowly depleting. The waters are dirty, and may beck e too toxic for the purifiers to take care of. Jobs will be lost, and there will be less money, which leads to another stock market crash. The whole works can be directly and indirectly effected by the unnatural change.